Syncing account for a minor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncing account for a minor

Downloaded game and put in my own date of birth (adult) for child to play not realizing the chat component of the game. Didn’t want kid to see constant chat scrolling across screen with inappropriate content for a child. Game data was synced so deleted game and redownloaded with childs date of birth but now can only log in as a guest and can’t find any way to sync the game data from the original account. Is there any way to do this (to save all the progress he had made) or can minors only play on guest accounts?.

I ran into this same issue.. Curious what the path here is. I'd like to be able to sync the child's account so that she can play across multiple devices and keep her save data / progress...

Comment

You will need to submit a customer service ticket. For anything having to do with data, contact CS.

For users who are under 13, the game and game data are treated differently. We cannot keep/store information for anyone under the age of 13, so they'll be playing as a guest. I believe the chat function is turned off and they won't be able to access the shop or be presented with those sales package pop-ups. This is all done in accordance with COPPA compliance.

Comment

Please be more clear. Are you saying they will only EVER be able to play as a guest, and therefore there is NO ability for them to save their game data, so that they can play across multiple devices???

Also, I have confirmed the following on my child's device:
        - The chat function is hidden/disabled. (for those curious, when a friendly match invitation is sent, they actually get a special popup asking if they want to accept/decline the duel invite)
        - They can still access the shop and see paid items
        - they still see sales package pop-ups on game start.

Furthermore, COPPA does not prohibit you from collecting information from someone under the age of 13, it DOES however, require that you get the parents consent.

Comment

Originally posted by eric003 View Post
          Please be more clear. Are you saying they will only EVER be able to play as a guest, and therefore there is NO ability for them to save their game data, so that they can play across multiple devices???

Apologies for the confusion

Correct, unfortunately. We can not store their game data on HIVE due to the age restrictions... However, If you wish to create an account for your child to play on so their data CAN be saved, you are free to do so. If a child creates an account themselves, there is no way for that data to be transferred because we can not save/store it.

Also, I have confirmed the following on my child's device:
          - The chat function is hidden/disabled. (for those curious, when a friendly match invitation is sent, they actually get a special popup asking if they want to accept/decline the duel invite)
          - They can still access the shop and see paid items
          - they still see sales package pop-ups on game start.
          Thank you for checking up on these!

Furthermore, COPPA does not prohibit you from collecting information from someone under the age of 13, it DOES however, require that you get the parents consent.
          Again, I'm super sorry for the confusion, I did not add the part where we can't collect AND store.
          COPPA prevents us from collecting and storing personal identifiers for users under the age of 13. So this is any type of data that can connect the game to the child; like IP addresses, emails, and so on.

After seeing this thread, I think we need to do a better job in making these nuances more clear. We've updated our policies to state that users under the age of 13 will be restricted, but I don't think the smaller bits of info, like why we can't track and store, are made clear.

All we seem to have is this. It briefly mentions data and collecting, but it's in regards to ticket submissions even though the process is similar in our games:

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify. How would I create an account to sync the child’s acccount because on their settings there is no option for syncing. If I create an account and game with my date of birth we are right back to the chat problem. It wouldn’t be so bad if they had to open the chat section to view but it scrolls across the screen as they are playing and some of the messages are not ok for a kid to read.

Comment

meeps53. I am not part of Com2us staff and I am sorry for butting in on this.

You can either let your child play without syncing and no chat access, or play with syncing and chat access. There is no other option.
              If you have a greater value that your child has a possibility to play on multiple devices then you must also allow him/her to access the chat.
              If you have a greater value that your child remains "unharmed" from chat messages then your only option is to let him/her play without syncing.
              Your other option is to not let your child play.

Chat has good filter capabilities of obscene language and other nonsense. If you remain preocupied however I would suggest to let your child play in a single device as a guest. That could also be the start of a technology friendly life where your children could learn that they might not always be able to get hands on all devices they want/can.

This is due to the compliance previously stated. There is no way around it.

Comment

Com2us_PuffyHuff thank you for the reply. I would encourage your team to put in an enhancement request, that would allow for parental account syncing, through the use of the parent's email address. In this way, you're not storing any data from the child, but only the parent's identifiers. (name/email/etc).

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by thr5ashes View Post
                  meeps53. I am not part of Com2us staff and I am sorry for butting in on this.
                  Thanks for helping out! I appreciate it ^^ EVERYONE is always welcome to 'butt in' if they have helpful info.

Com2us_PuffyHuff thank you for the reply. I would encourage your team to put in an enhancement request, that would allow for parental account syncing, through the use of the parent's email address. In this way, you're not storing any data from the child, but only the parent's identifiers. (name/email/etc).

Thank you.
                  Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Comment

Working...
                  X