• Show
Clear All

• A Guide to Rune Min-Maxing: (Hopefully) All You Need to Know

Table of Contents

1. Introduction

​2. Rune Chart

3. FAQ

Tips!
    Unlike a typical guide, the FAQ section constitutes the major part of the guide. All of the analysis are done there.

Greetings Summoners!

Another day, another guide. You might remember me as the creator of the glory shop guide, you might not; it doesn't matter. Today I'll cover the topics of advance runing. Note that I will not cover basic rune properties, but the keyword I'll focus on here is "efficiency".

Here are some examples of what this guide can do for you:
    • Determine if the rune you're having is worth the power-up or not, thus potentially saving mana.
    • Find out the source of high-end runes, and why that pesky Giant refuse to drop you an Endure rune.
    • Clarify some conundrums ("maximize strength or cover weakness?", "endure set + HP% rune or energy set + resist rune?", "Swift or Violent?", etc)
    • Help you understand the reasoning behind the common advice on rune ("at least 3* rune", "each rune is only upgrading 3 times the star", etc) and elaborate if they are valid or can be disputed.
    • Help you understand why top players have fewer Fatal/Energy/etc and more Violent/Endure/etc than the average player.
    Also, note that (like my other guide) this one will also be lengthy. I'm not one to withhold information, so I just disclose everything I know on the topics. Just try not to rush it and you might actually enjoy the analyses.

Without further ado, let's start the guide!

P.S: Text colored this way is outdated, before the rune system overhaul. It still contain valuable concepts, and thus it is recommended that you read the old texts before reading the new texts to gain a better understanding, although it is not necessary. Any mention of "Chart XX" refers to the old charts linked below, not the new ones.
    Last edited by Abs01ut3; 01-30-2015, 11:35 AM.

• dreamKrusher
    replied
    you are crazy
    give this guy a medal

Leave a comment:

• ZacoOne
    replied
    Great post. Thank you for this vital info. Will you be updating the guide to reflect the new rune drop updates in scenario and dungeons?

Leave a comment:

• ToXiKia
    replied
    Thank you ! I learned a lot !

Leave a comment:

• Bhalor
    replied
    Originally posted by Abs01ut3 View Post
    Major update incoming soonTM. Question bank will be doubled (10 new FAQ), mostly for rune decision-making strategy as well as update for the new runes and Giant/Dragon patch changes. The list of questions (question 11-20) are above, with the answers given very shortly.
    Hey nice guide so far, but a short question. Where is this "short list from question 11-20" you mentioned? Above i cant find anything

Leave a comment:

• Slayer
    replied
    It would be interesting if you would continue the FAQ.

Leave a comment:

• ck10_9
    replied
    No that secondary stat never improves.

Leave a comment:

• JoeSnoVo
    replied
    I am currently farming a HP% 2nd slot violent rune or a 6th slot blade rune for my Ahman. I have 96% Crit Rate and almost 19,000 HP (I have two 5* runes, two 4* runes, and two 3* runes. I am working on building better giant and dragon teams).

My question is about when I find a Mortal Whatever Rune. This rune comes with a Crit Rate sub stat but can this sub stat be increased? Typically if it is flat a new sub stat will arrive when you power it up to +3 and if it is Magic Mortal Whatever Rune and I power it up to +3 the Crit Rate sub stat never changes but the other sub stat increases. When you find one of these Mortal/Cruel/Powerful/Etc. Runes is it possible to increase the sub state associated with the name? Does it increase when you reach +15?

Leave a comment:

• OMG_luigi
    replied
    Hey first of all, amazing guide! must have taken you alot of time, but i think you made a little writing mistake, at ''7, Which is better for me? Swift or Violent set? you wrote ''Now, what does this mean? This means that Violent's effect is constant, unlike Swift's. A Violent set will always give you 25% extra speed (in the long run), regardless of how much speed you stack.'' I think you messed it up a little bit, you said violent is constant unlike swift, but i think it has to be switched around :P and a violent set will always give you 25% extra speed which is not real, speed gives you 25% extra speed :P

Leave a comment:

• Desolate
    replied
    Hello, I'm aware this is an old post, but it should still be relevant, so no apologies for bumping (hopefully sticky)

I have a question about the ratios. The examples you gave are wrong I think, it should be 7.5*100/51, rather than 14*100/43? This is for pre 6* hp%.
    My questions concerns the relevance of the ratios when picking set bonus vs slot runes. Will this comparison work if I'm trying to compare between three different sets? So I prioritise the highest for the set bonus and the lowest to the individual slots?

You've done a truly thorough job with this, thank you

Leave a comment:

• Argetlahm
    replied
    why is this guide is not stickied, so hard to find it

Leave a comment:

• rown2k4
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Abs01ut3, I value Speed more since I need her for Arena.

• Abs01ut3
    commented on 's reply
    Just convert your base Atk at 6* to compare. From the chart above, it's a 17 base Atk difference. Compute how many % is that (should be around 3% iirc). In your case, the 4* rune will likely win, but remember that once you upgrade both runes, the 5* rune will have a higher number on the added sub-stats.

Everything can be converted into %, then compared in a pro-cons table (if I use X rune I'll get the stats on the left, while if I use Y rune it's the stats on the right.) It'll be very easy to compare and choose which one you need more. In general, if you have a very good sub-stats already it can last at least two tiers difference (ie: 4* star with awesome sub-stats will need a lucky investment in 6* runes to outperform it).

As for Chloe, it depends. Some players will go for maximum speed, in which case they'll be willing to break their non-Swift set for any runes with good spd stat. Other players like to have a more balanced Chloe for pve uses. Every player will have a different goal in mind. Which one you value more?

• rown2k4
    replied
    Hi Abs01ut3. First, thank you for the great guide. Easily one of the best intermediate-advanced guides about using runes in Summoner's War. Also glad that you updated the FAQ after the patch.

On to my question. How good should a rune's substats be in order to replace it or consider a lower grade rune? (Especially for flat stat slots 1,3,5)

As an example, I have a 6* max Raoq with Violent/Energy equipped on it. For slot 1 (Attack), I have a +12 4☆ rune with 12% attack and 11% hp as sub-stats. Is this better than a +12 5☆ rune with 10% attack and 5% hp?

Another example would be a trend whenever I re-rune my Chloe. Should I go for a +4 in speed but lose out 10% hp substat, etc.?

Thanks for the help and keep up the good work.
    Last edited by rown2k4; 02-04-2015, 01:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Abs01ut3
    replied
    Major update incoming soonTM. Question bank will be doubled (10 new FAQ), mostly for rune decision-making strategy as well as update for the new runes and Giant/Dragon patch changes. The list of questions (question 11-20) are above, with the answers given very shortly.

If you have any other rune-related questions you'd like to see addressed, now's the time to ask them I intended to cover as many aspects of rune as possible (minus specific rune combo for each monster because many others have done exceptional job on it, such as Skeletoon and ExtremeTechPro to mention a few). I also intended the upcoming update to be the final version (until new patch changes re: runes), so I want to cover any holes.
    Last edited by Abs01ut3; 01-11-2015, 02:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X