The Death of a Whale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Death of a Whale

To Start off, this is a long, rant-ish post with a lot of typos and grammar error. you have been warned.

Hello forum, long time lurker, first time poster. and my first, possibly my last thread is not a happy one.

a little background, i am a confirmed (rank when arena resets) G1 player after 1 try at rushing arena. i normally do not rush as my schedule does not allow for it. i was only able to achieved G1 on new years eve, Arguably the most intense time to rush as everyone and their mother was up that night. i have 80, non fused nat 5, 3 of which being LD. out of the 80 nat 5 i have 40 dupes. Fastest possible speed for my bernard would be 310 speed before lead and totem. fastest support vio set is 260 speed with ~40k hp. fastest possible vamp set is 220 spd. fastest despair support set is 140 spd. just a rough idea of my rune quality.

i have roughly 3 years of game time. my first nat 5 came after TWO, yes TWO years of being a pay to play player. you can call B.S and i dont blame you, but yes it took me 2 years to pull my first nat 5 all while paying. now i did not buy packs to summon, i did use the crystals to farm, and farm A LOT.

Over the course of my SW "career" i have spent enough money to buy a brand new car fresh of the show room floor. i wont say exactly how much ive spent, not because im ashamed, but because i have lost track. but on average a nat 5 cost around 4-450$ and an LD averages 9,000$. now i say "average" as those are what statistic calls for, so that should give you a rough estimate.

Now back to Dec of 2017, a week before the monthly packs reset (the LD, stones, mana&Energy pack) i have purchase every $30 LD packs available. so roughly 7 LD packs, then on the first, i bought every LD Piece pack available. over 500$ spent and i had over 25 ld scrolls. i was planning to save these for future summon, however, after seeing THREE LD nat 5 being pulled, i got tempted, Summoned all my ld, surprise surprise, 0 lightning. ok... ld rate sucks, i get it. i moved on.

that same night, as "jewbagel" was doing his weekly SMS, which i was featured in when someone on twitch told him to visit my island. Visit is linked in the vid. i decided to hang out in channel 8008, decide, to join the fun, because why not right? had a rough morning with LD might as well summon some scrolls for LOLs. Packs after pack after pack, nothing #1morepack until FINALLY a nat 5.... Xing Zhe, awesome mon, i should know, i built 2 of them... had no need for this one. That was the last straw. i decided that i will no longer be paying for this freeium game any longer.

Now, im not saying get a dupe is what caused me to go ftp. No, dupes are part of the game and i accept it. I am ok with dupes, especially how useful it is to have 3 mo longs in siege, or now nice it is to double zaiross arena, or how fun it is to run sub 1 min team with 2 chows. no its the combination of disappointment, bad luck, and seeing how others progress quicker than you simply because they get luckier than you.

no i dont care if a level 8 gets a seara, while i have none. no i dont care that some level 30 gets an ld nat 5 from his first and only ld scroll, no i dont care that someone gets a 30 speed subs on their rune at level 40 while i farm 15 hrs a day and my best sub is 28 grinded. what really ticked me into going casual is being disappointed without even having expectation. its having to farm 2 weeks, at 15 hrs or more a day for a "useable" rune. and by useable im not talking direct improvement, im talking about a "oh hey look, a rune i can throw on one of my 120 6 stars that are sitting in storage and will never be used ever." infact, when i was looking for a nem/will rune for my praha, it took me 3 weeks of farming necro to get a blue one that was useable for her. in that time frame, i made 15m, yes 15 million mana from selling useless runes.

but i digress, its call farming, its call RNG, its call whatever you wanna call it, but at a certain point, when you see how much you grind for how little you received, it starts adding up. every mystical scroll you go without lightning, bring you that much more bitter when you see a level 35 pulling an op nat 5 from a single scroll. every rune you sell makes you more bitter when you see an op rune in chat.

less not even talk about the community that is SW. i have to say, even though a lot are nice, the majority is toxic, just like anywhere else on line. you have the noobs giving bad advice, you have the arrogant guardian players who disregards everything that doesnt agree with his tactic of playing, you have the streamers who lately have been complaining about c2u security issue. the latest and greatest B.S of them all "it has been confirmed that c2u data base has been breach and compromise, no account is safe" but where is it confirmed? "c2u affiliates"

i have nothing bad to say about high end players or streamers, but you cant run around screaming fire in a crowded theater just because you see smoke. maybe someone burnt popcorn, maybe someone is on their cigarette break, maybe theres a raging fire, point is, creating mass panic solves nothing but create more problems.

theres a long list of things that can be fixed in this game that make us players and payers have a better QoL. but the fact that everyone is SOOO against p2w shows how toxic this community is. i wouldnt say that im p2w, since im not winning anything. im paying for rng, im paying to keep playing the game so my energy doesnt run out, im paying so you can play the game. when you get to arena is 99% of p2p players, so im only competing with fellow p2p players. i dont understand the whole issue this community has with the p2p and f2p gap. if there was ZERO gap, no one, and i mean no one will EVER be able to catch up to those who started within the first 6 months of the game debute. so how is p2p a bad thing?

another toxic thing this community like to always bring up is, "new player cant catch up" THEYRE NOT SUPPOSE TOO. how fair is it for someone who has been playing 6 months to be on the same status as someone who has been playing for 3 years without having to spend? c1 players fight c1 players. g3 fight g3. 6 months compete with 6 months and 3 years compete with 3 years. i makes no sense for someone who is ftp who started mid 2017 wanting to be on the same level has someone who is p2p and has been playing for 3 years.

idk why im even making this post, just wanted to vent frustration and explain why a whale is now ftp and went from playing 15hrs or more a day to barely checking in.

I'm not a religious man, but.............AMEN BROTHER!

Comment

Hey *Chow*! I'm so sorry to hear all this... I know how frustrating RNG can be. And don't worry, honestly the forums are supposed to serve whatever purpose you need them to (as long as it relates to Summoners War). Even if you just need a place to vent, I'm happy to listen (or read as the case may be). Like I said, farming can definitely be exhausting, but it's a key part of the game. Personally speaking for a second, it's not necessarily the Runes that are the payoff for me. I find that trying different team comps and delving into different areas of the game is often the most rewarding. Granted, Runes are absolutely necessary to progress, your point is still sound. But maybe take a break and try out a different part of SW for a little while. Maybe a brief jump into Guild Siege or World Arena, or try to refine Rift teams! Basically, try to focus on what you have rather than what could be before going back to farming. (:

And as far as the community goes, I think we're very fortunate to have the crowd that we do on the forums. There are a lot of friendly and knowledgeable players here that are very welcoming to newer players looking for guidance. So I'd definitely recommend hanging out on some of the topics here.

Let us know what you end up doing in SW! Have a great day, and thank you for posting! C:

Comment

• Tiff89
        Tiff89 commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you suggesting to him to get advice by other players cause he is new to the game?

• Com2uS_Evan
        Com2uS_Evan commented
        Editing a comment
        Tiff89 no, I just mean that it's a good quality that this community shares. *Chow* isn't new, they've been playing for a very long time. (:

• Tino_kun
        Tino_kun commented
        Editing a comment
        If the game isn't fun for you than stop playing Chow no one forced you to spend what ever amount of money you invested into the game that's on you, and yes it's rng everything is based on luck weather you spend or not. I agree with Evan that playing the into the different areas of the game is what is most rewarding, but I can also sympathize with Chow on the frustrations of the game, but in the end anything you do in life you must always enjoy it 1st or disregard if it shows no benefit or serves your needs.

lol
      p2w player with 40+ unique nat5 and 40+ dupes complaing because he can't win everything with $$
      while stating he is not p2w. OH THE IRONY!!!

oh wait, im TOXIC!
      what a toxic community indeed...

Comment

• *Chow*
        *Chow* commented
        Editing a comment
        who said that both of my Khmun are maxed skilled eitan1233? i didnt realized i needed max skilled mon to be able to put them on my AD?

• Tiff89
        Tiff89 commented
        Editing a comment
        He said he is p2p... and he said he is p2w but does not win
        Am i the only one who really read the post?

• Tony Sfinos
        Tony Sfinos commented
        Editing a comment
        Tiff89
        and i'm f2p but i win
        am i f2w?

Is there a TLDR

Comment

• *Chow*
        *Chow* commented
        Editing a comment
        rate sucks which causes a whale to go ftp out of frustration and boycotting the company. heavily played turn into casual log ins

You got 80+ nat 5 and 3 ld nat 5 in a year then? Yeesh.

Comment

I dont know what to say, honestly.

Nobody forced you to spend money on this game... like... at all. I apreciate that you did and you also seem to be able to enjoy spending it on this game... At least, until recently.

Lesson learn: In the end of the day, this is only a game. There are far, FAR more important things in life.

Wish the best of luck for you in all your future without summuner wars

Comment

From what I read, he has the same issues with this game that everyone does. RUNES! He didn't really complain much about the monsters. To me he is complaining about how impossible it is to get the runes a person needs to be able to compete. Most people admit that it doesn't matter much if you have the best monsters.....if you can't rune them properly it just won't matter. Rune farming needs to be fixed at some point and there is nothing else to be said about it.

Comment

• Cypher505
            Cypher505 commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree. I got a ld nat5 back on December 28th. She is still waiting on slots 2,4,6 as I need the correct % rune for those slots and been farming dragons these last 3 weeks with still not getting even a 6* rare rune that would work there. What does it take, 6 months to rune 1 monster?

• Kevradikus
            Kevradikus commented
            Editing a comment
            No doubt in my mind that this is the biggest issue with the game. I'm going to put a post in the suggestion section this weekend once I have it all ironed out.

• Dogstar21
            Dogstar21 commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not going to argue that farming runes is easy - for the meta in PVP, even 6* % 2/4/6 runes are meh unless they come with speed subs. I have tons of 2/4/6 % runes in my inventory, but almost no vio or swift despite playing 8-12 hours daily for 3 years. I can rune most of my monsters appropriately, but it's very hard to rune them optimally.

But as far as "I can't rune my LND nat 5 that I got last month", there has been a FRR day, and you could easily have taken runes from another monster to give to your new LND Nat 5. Don't get me wrong, runing monsters can be frustrating, and, more often than not FRR seems like i'm robbing Peter to pay Paul, but it's about prioritizing your monsters and your runes.

the house always wins

Comment

• *Chow*
            *Chow* commented
            Editing a comment
            unless you dont get caught counting card

• FaintSmile
            FaintSmile commented
            Editing a comment
            Best comment in the thread.

They have made this game really hard to progress in the past year and a half or so. But thats mainly due to nerfing the rune drop rates. The other complaint I see legit is the LD summoning rate, it is really hard to get lightning for some.

But as far as everything else goes they have actually improved the rates, at least IMO. My first 2 years of this game yielded no nat5s at all. Since I came back I have since summoned 13 nat5s. During the 1st year of the game, an OP account consisted of 2 nat5 monsters. Now, having two nat5s is nothing. The only exception was the rune drops as stated, even though GB10 was much more difficult you can at least get really good runes at a decent rate.

Its ok to get bored and frustrated at the game, lots of people do, and if it really frustrates you that much then take a break or as you have stated "stop spending money on it" Or you can find other content to work on in the game. Building different monsters to play with, put some strange runes and see how they work or something.

Also, not implying that everyone is this way but I feel a lot of players take gaming too seriously. Its ok to play around and have some fun, it just seems everyone is so competitive. Using strange monsters and combinations should be an interesting thing in game, but most players use the same monsters for every battle.

Comment

just curious with your 9k average per ld nat 5 rate. was that before or after they doubled up on the amount you could buy? Maybe they cut the rates in half of lightning for ld scrolls after they doubled up. because 9k seems extremly high.

edit: oh you are probably using swafarm collected rates and multipling by the cost.... guess we will never know. I havent pulled a single ld nat 5 since they doubled up on the amount you can purchase. Its all relative I guess

Comment

• *Chow*
              *Chow* commented
              Editing a comment
              the 9k per ld nat is base on statics estimates as ive said. for my personally idk how much i spent as i lost track but as published rates by com2us is roughly .35% for an ld nat 5 that 1/300 scrolls. assuming each scroll from daily pack is 30$ its around 9k. give or take depending on RNG's mood.

I'm an F2P player who's played 3+ years of 8-14 hours per day. While I don't understand the P2P mentality (other than paying a few bucks to show support of a company that produced a product you consume), I don't begrudge P2P players, as I fully understand that without P2P, the game wouldn't be what it is. I expect there to be a gap (you should at least get something if you pay!), but I do think there are a lot of people on both sides of the P2P/F2P divide that create a toxicity between them.

There are P2P players who decry all F2P players as being "too poor", when the reality is that many F2P players simply have different economic priorities. Frankly, it doesn't make sense to me to spend money on something intangible like pixels or advancement in a game, other than, as I previously said, to show support for the game/company itself.

There are the F2P players who think "they are better" than P2P players - that achievement without spending is more meaningful than achievement with spending. I'd argue that reaching the same achievement in the game without spending might mean they have better strategy or knowledge, but it's certainly not a truth.

The truth is, there are a lot of factors which makes one more successful in Summoner's War. Knowledge, strategy, time spent (and ability to spend time), money spent, and RNG (not necessarily in that order). Two people can have identical strategy, knowledge, money, and time spent, and RNG will allow one player to succeed more than others. This is a fact, not a complaint. The only complaint I have is people who don't acknowledge that fact (i.e. saying things like "if you do X, you will get a better result", when, in fact, having already done that, saw no impact.

Having two accounts that I spent a considerable amount of time on, I can attest to the difference RNG can play. On my alt account, which a) is 1.5 years newer, and b) gets slightly less play than my main (I have 2 devices, so I play both simultaneously), I have better quality runes for key sets like Swift and Violent - for example, I have more than 3X more 6* legendary swift runes and more than 2X more legendary 6* violent runes on my alt than my main, despite significantly more grinding on my main.

I absolutely understand the fatigue aspect of the game. Getting pretty close to the edge myself. Bad RNG has certainly amplified my frustration (at another streak of over 900 summons including over a dozen legendaries with no nat 5, and, like the OP, took me 14 months of playing 8-14 hours daily (somewhere around 1600 summons before I got my first nat 5), but the general grind format is the primary reason for fatigue.

Comment

• Cypher505
              Cypher505 commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, I've become more a FTP player as well as the money I have spent on my main has only given me 2 more nat5s than my FTP alt account. I did not get rewarded for spending money on my main, so, what's the point of spending money if I summon a thousand scrolls and still no nat5? none. Stay FTP and just farm for runes.

I guess this is the biggest issue com2us will face in 2018.
            Players who don't quit due to rage, due to "security issues", or lack of updates.
            But due to disappointment

Comment

• eitan1233
              eitan1233 commented
              Editing a comment
              someone who spent 6k before he got his first nat 5 isnt going to quit... he can say whatever he wants, his an addict

OMG, I finally found someone having more BAD RND than me. Well, a bit sad though.

Comment

Come to think of your post, your nat5 counts and runes quality are quite similar to a streamer, YDCB. He spend about 60k+ last time I checked. So I guess you are about the same range.

Comment

• DubiousMarma
                DubiousMarma commented
                Editing a comment
                but he gets funded as a youtuber and streamer. Id say if you have a passion to play and spend and the personality to do so, become a streamer. speaking of which another youtuber TMG, now known as DMG is raising $57,000 for the next SWC championship and holding digital tournaments with cash prizes
            Working...
            X