Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catharsis' ability "Fear" dreadfully needs a rework / nerf!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catharsis' ability "Fear" dreadfully needs a rework / nerf!

The "Fear" debuff caused by Catharsis' Reflection of Tragedy II passive prevents strikers from shooting the ball for 2 minutes (which is arguably overpowered in its own right). However, this ability is does far more harm to the opponents than merely blocking shots. If the opponent's frontline assist uses their assist ability, the striker simply passes the ball right back, and the assist's ability and the spirit consumed are completely wasted! To make matters worse, if you have multiple frontline assists (which is very common in upper-league PVP), the striker will pass the ball to the second assist, and they too will waste their ability, and even more spirit.

In over a dozen PVP matches, I've had my entire frontline burn through their actives and 2 full bars of spirit in less than 4 seconds with absolutely NOTHING to show for it! I strongly doubt this behavior was INTENDED by developers, because this single passive from a single character is basically crippling the entire game mechanics of the opponent's frontline.

--Here's the actual In-Game Description of Catharsis' ability--
    [Reflection of Tragedy II Recharges the following effect for every 5 min: Grants Fear on the enemy team and decreases their critical resistance by 20% for 2 min with a 20 / 40 / 60 / 80 / 100% chance with a steal or when using an active skill. (Charges up to 2 times)]

So, I have some suggestions on how to ease the unfair frustration from the "Fear" ability:

Suggestion #1: Make the Fear debuff ALSO prevent frontline players in the position from using their actives (similar to the "Eternity Flame" ability by Ashe), so neither the Assist's active cooldowns nor the spirit bar go to waste.

Suggestion #2: Make the Fear debuff "stack-based" instead of "time-based." Instead of letting it last for two minutes, let the debuff be granted a single stack on every application, so only a single enemy shot is prevented per stack. Once the striker has failed to shoot, a stack of the debuff is consumed, and the game returns to normal.

Suggestion #3: Make the Fear debuff ONLY trigger upon Catharsis' active ability (and not upon her steal attempts). This will help manage the frequency of the debuff to prevent the ability from overbearing the opponent team.

If the developers would consider implementing one or more of these suggested changes, I believe it would GREATLY reduce player frustration.

Thank you for any consideration you're willing to give to this matter!!!
    Last edited by Shipwrecksos; 12-31-2019, 08:57 AM.

Hi Shipwrecksos,

We're aware that even after some balancing, many users are still having trouble with Catharsis. As mentioned, there will be legend balancing on the horizon, so please await official news for more details.

Best,
    Nyan

Comment

Originally posted by Com2uS_Nyan View Post
      Hi Shipwrecksos,

We're aware that even after some balancing, many users are still having trouble with Catharsis. As mentioned, there will be legend balancing on the horizon, so please await official news for more details.

Best,
      Nyan
      Thank you for the response, Nyan. I do appreciate your help, as always.

I just want to make sure it is crystal clear that this particular request isn't really a "balancing" issue. If anything, it's more of a bug fix. A design flaw (due to dreadfully horrible AI failure). The Assist AI should NEVER pass the ball to a striker that can't shoot (blowing both their cooldown and spirit), I highly doubt the developers actually intended for this to happen (because if they did, that's just sadistic).

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

I see it as the same approach to how they reworked Garriott's active, and AI adjustment will still fall under balancing. Intended or not, it is a benefit Catharsis users have, and fixing is a nerf to the player.

That is my view on the matter.

Comment

I see it as the same approach to how they reworked Garriott's active, and AI adjustment will still fall under balancing. Intended or not, it is a benefit Catharsis users have, and fixing is a nerf to the player.

Fair enough. Thank you for your help with this!

Comment

Well, the "balance" has been made, and they did literally nothing to fix the AI problems I've mentioned in this thread. In fact, they even outright state in their Dev comment that the "Fear" effect won't be changed.

"Developer's comment: We've downgraded Catharsis' active skill to reduce her capability for disruption. We’re aware some of you may still raise questions about the Fear effect itself, but please consider how much this nerf will affect the "Spreading Tragedy II" passive."

Fear still activates upon Catharsis STEALS which have nothing to do with her Active cooldown. Heck, they could have removed her active ability entirely, and AI problem still fully remains.

Having all frontline assists burn through their cooldowns in less than 5 seconds with nothing to show for it is absolutely broken and unfair beyond reason.

I always appreciate your efforts Nyan, but the Developers are so openly obstinate regarding this severe AI issue, that either 1) it was not sufficiently communicated just how severe this issue is, or 2) they are deliberately ignoring the plight of the players who undergo these frustrations. Either way, this AI behavior is simply unacceptable.

People can call it "balancing," "bug fixing," or any other tagline. I call it a dealbreaker.

Comment

That's only part of caths problem it's the massive reflex buff that is also in the equation and now that Cath is able to keep fear up even more often this was a low key buff to caths ai in auto. But I think I'm actually completely done aske is still a joke kirna has no right to even be a legend gk and Ali still is hard to take down unless using cypher or vonchi.

Comment

Originally posted by vidman View Post
                That's only part of caths problem it's the massive reflex buff that is also in the equation and now that Cath is able to keep fear up even more often this was a low key buff to caths ai in auto. But I think I'm actually completely done aske is still a joke kirna has no right to even be a legend gk and Ali still is hard to take down unless using cypher or vonchi.
                It's sad that it's come to this. I wanted to give BB one last chance here. Again, Nyan has faithfully plead our case to the devs for YEARS now (with varying degrees of success), so I do appreciate that effort.

But you can't make a developer care. Whether they're desperate for money, or they're greedy, or they're just plain coldhearted, none of their reasons or justifications matter. You can't be this anti-consumer and expect your game to survive (let alone thrive).

Comment

Pretty much exactly that this was one of those "last chance" patches and they failed to hit the mark yet again it's still vonchi/cypher spirits to just easy mode everything when it comes to pvp because I some how expect xenon and benady to get nerfed soon enough they are stronger then some legends. How long did we ask for dalgi balance and it still hasn't happened how long have we asked for a kirna review how long have people asked for ein to be good again. It's just the land of raph presty and now Ali you can pretty much blame raph and presty for setting the bar to high for gks and vonchi/cypher doing the same for strikers even uranus pales in comparison because to even be useful you need dalgi and jibril yet again without those two is just average. I can't fault Nyan for any of this either but come on enough is enough when you have devs that are being this slow to react and when I look at what they did with cath it's more of I see what you did there moment. Also i take big issue with a striker such as cypher can build 0 crit rate and still have no problem critting kirna yet when you build crit rate to deal with a resist gk it's a different playing field. There's so many more problems that are influencing this but I don't have the energy to keep going on anymore it's beating a dead horse that's turned to bone powder.
                  Last edited by vidman; 01-26-2020, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Yeah I can see that hapening vidman, that is also my fear.

They release fun, and strong 5 stars to be nerfed along the way, and fade into obscurity to never be buffed up again, and it is outright annoying.

Alexa,Glayde,Angela,Vaidi all nerfed because they all had their 1 good season in GSl, heck vaidi couldn't even have her 1 good season..she was nerfed based on GCL usage alone...

And in a lot of issues we have, it feels like as Shipwrecksos wrote, it feels the devs are ignoring the users's problems, because they are just too slow to react and often not well enough.

There is a reason I have spent more money in E7 now that I did in SS, and there is a reason I do not buy anything in SS anymore.....E7 devs keep surprising me with relatively fast reactions and fixes. Heck they refunded whole summon sessions, because they fcked up a character's skill preview and did not correct the announcement in time.

3 and 4 star units are just as good as 5 star units in a lot of cases in E7...heck some people are even saying, that the best PvP and PvE healers are 3 and 4 star units

There is recall for nerfed "legends" in E7, you can choose any other legend you want...and it won't recall every copy

Also the pointgain is fixed in E7...you get a fixed amount of points for winning and for losing...and no connection issues for "long matches"

So many people are suffering from just random pointgain issues in SS and we are not getting a fricking fixed pointgain...I have talked to so many people on the reddit, people either have points cut because matches are too long, and the dc that happens with long matches for some people counts as a loss, or they just get low pointgain for whatever reason...and if your climb is hindered, you quit and play another game where you can climb normally...

Just gonna attach 2 more pitures of people having problem with pointgain and with actually posting and registering to the official forums to even tell about the pointgain and connection issues
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Neonflux; 01-27-2020, 01:56 AM.

Comment

I think this thread is starting to steer a bit off-topic to the original post at hand.

Neonflux, it's getting to the point where I think it is best to create a new thread to keep things all contained in one topic, instead of bringing it up across several various ones. It will be easier for me to keep track of things. I will reply more in detail there.

Yes, the balancing the ended up being added into the game is not what users addressed (or not enough).

I think it has been made clear they are aware of this AI behavior, but have gone a different direction instead of addressing the Fear effect itself.

This feedback has been relayed to the developers.

Best,
                      Nyan

Comment

I know that your trying Nyan and it is appreciated but it seems like for all that it's a fruitless effort.

Comment

Сatharsis can be easily controlled and not givento use fear, you can put a Сurod who will control the passage of Сatharsis. The same Exis with the correct unique stone on the balmung will not allow her to pass, as she is throughout the asist. It would be better to talk about the Queen, who gives 100% attack power to the whole team. This buff is definitely a nerf demand.
                          Last edited by Zakarum; 01-30-2020, 01:31 AM.

Comment

• vidman
                            vidman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            No catharsis is not easily controlled and listing curod and exis is very naive because you seem under the impression everyone uses them which is not the fact do you consider when people don't use them? Cath is still overly effective when you consider line buffs on top of what the fear does and when you start adding in things like pang it gets multiplied. As for queens active I think you need to actually go read and understand exactly what it does. [Support Attack] Deals 50 / 62.5 / 75 / 87.5 / 100% of Ariane's basic attack power as damage to the target first for 15 min when the ally team attacks. (Support Attacks won't grant inability effects) the attack power boost is only from her own basic attack before before stone effects and what not are applied and in reality is still heavily dependant on each individual attacking units own stats and is effected by Dr and possibly defense stats. If it were even remotely as overpower as fear active reset or Ali's active you would of seen it balanced already it's really just a minimal damage increase where it actually matters.
                        Working...
                        X